Simply call us to book an appointment.
We aim to book you for a scan within 3 days, or 14 days for certain scans.
What is it for?
To investigate symptoms associated with your aorta.
Abdominal Aorta Scan
Abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAAs) are bulges in the aorta, the main artery that carries blood from the heart to the organs throughout your body. AAAs often don't cause symptoms, making them difficult to detect without screening. Ultrasound scans are a reliable way to see AAAs, especially in men aged 65 to 75 with a smoking, family history and other lifestyle habits.
Some of the abdominal aortic aneurysm symptoms:
- Sudden and severe pain in the belly, lower back, or legs
- Shortness of breath, rapid heartbeat, and low blood pressure
- Dizziness, fainting, nausea, vomiting, and clammy skin
Who is it for?
An abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) scan is particularly beneficial for men aged 65 and over, individuals with a family history of AAA, smokers, and those with high blood pressure. Given that AAA often grows silently, those at risk should consider this scan to detect potential issues early, especially if they experience unusual abdominal discomfort or related symptoms.
What can Abdominal Aortic Ultrasound Scan Tell You ?
- Detect and measure abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAAs), bulges in the aorta that can rupture and cause life-threatening bleeding.
- Assess the size and shape of the aorta.
- Look for narrowing or blockages in the aorta.
- Evaluate blood flow through the aorta.
- Identify other abnormalities of the aorta, such as dissections or tears.
How to Prepare for the Scan?
Our medical team will provide specific instructions for your scan. However, here are some general things you need to do:
- Wear comfortable clothing that allows easy access to your abdomen. You may be asked to remove jewellery or other metal objects that could interfere with the scan.
What to Expect During the Scan?
- You will need to lie on your back on an examination table.
- A trained ultrasonographer will apply a special gel to your belly area.
- The ultrasonographer will then gently press a device against your belly, moving it back and forth.
- The device sends signals to a computer, which creates images of the structures in your belly area.
- The scan typically takes about 15-30 minutes.
- You might feel mild pressure, but the procedure is generally painless.
Not sure which scan you need?
If you are uncertain about which scan you require or are unable to locate the specific scan you are searching for, do not hesitate to consult our doctor. They will take into account your medical records, symptoms, and other relevant factors to suggest the most appropriate scan for you.
Why Choose Us?
Get back to your best health with our modern medical care. Our dedicated teams of experts will tailor your treatment plan to you and give you the peace of mind that comes with knowing you're in the best hands.
Get in touch
We are here to answer your questions. Call us to book an appointment or to get advice.020 3002 7795
Email us your enquiries, feedback or suggestions, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.info(@)uniclinic.co.uk
Live chat with us
If you prefer to talk with one of our assistants via text chat, we offer live chat service too.Chat now
In a health emergencies
Need someone to talk to?
Call Samaritans on 116 123 for confidential support.
Are you in a mental health crisis?
Call 111 for urgent help and support.
In a life-threatening emergency?
Call 999 or go to A&E immediately.